THE WORLDSHAPERS MANIFESTO
• We commit ourselves to work together to recreate our society so that the freedom and dignity of every human being is central to life.
• We acknowledge our responsibility for our own actions, both individual and collective, and their impact on all the people of the world and the natural environment.
• We join together to create new more humanistic organizational forms, values based businesses and values based governments.
• We recognize the need for social change and help implement that change by developing personal and organizational power to change the political process, fight injustice, poverty and homelessness, and promote and strengthen the community.
• We use the technologies of the scientist and the business entrepreneur, and the power of the communications media, to promote a joyful ethic of equity, compassion, openness, and sharing.
• We acknowledge that we are part of a living spiritual universe and that we are the responsible stewards of that universe.
• We reconcile the multiple world-views of our time into an approach based on love, creativity, tolerance, and efficiency.
THE GOALS OF THE WORLDSHAPERS MANIFESTO (What We Promote and Want to Achieve!)
o FOR BENEFIT ORGANIZATIONS
Supporting, Strengthening, and Reforming the Nonprofit Service Sector as a More Effective, More Collaborative, and More Entrepreneurial Force
Supporting and Creating New Organizations Based on Collaboration as Much as Command
Creating Organizations That Are Non-Rankist, Non-Sexist, Non-Racist, Have Free Flow of Information, Interactive, and Equitable
Development of Successful Mission-Based Businesses that Provide Poor, Disabled, and/or Homeless People With The Means To Lift Themselves Out Of Poverty
Teaching Youth Individual Responsibility And Flexibility in Responding To Changing Individual Circumstances
Development of Effective Life-Enhancing Public-Private Partnerships
o NATIONAL GOVERNMENT
Reforming Campaign Financing
Supporting Lean, Efficient, and Compassionate Government
Development of Meaningful Public-Private Partnerships Involving Government
Making Government a Supportive Partner with Non-Profit Organizations
Renewing Social and Capital Infrastructure
Development of Entrepreneurial Programs Stressing Hard Work, Individual Responsibility, Cost-Effectiveness, and Effective Outcomes that Provide Living Wage Jobs while Renewing National Infrastructure
Providing Incentives, Regulations, and Penalties to Foster Corporate Responsibility, Regulate Environmental Pollution, and Discourage the Despoiling of the Commons
Promoting And Subsidizing The Development Of New Small Businesses And Micro-businesses
Promoting Energy Self-Sufficiency
Creating a Social Entrepreneurship Corps
Providing for the Universal Health Care of the Populace
Ending Homelessness Through Fiscal Policies and Programs that Encourage the Development of Affordable Housing, Encourage Microentrepreneurship, Subsidize Supported Employment and Housing Programs, and Improve the Mental and Public Health Systems
o WORLD GOVERNMENT
Supporting More Decentralized and Representative Government Bodies
Promoting World Parliament to Make Decisions Central to the Community of Nations
Outlawing the Destruction of National Economies by Financial Speculators
Creating a World Fair Trade Organization to Promote and Develop Fair Trade Agreements and Products
Reform of World Bank and IMF Policies to Protect the Interests of Poor Nations
o THE ECONOMY AND THE ENVIRONMENT
Putting Technology in the Service of Humanity Not to Control Humanity
Designing and Developing Low-Tech, Low Capital Intensive Solutions to the Problems of the Developing World, e.g., potable water, health, transport, energy etc.
Promoting the Triple Bottom Line— Organizations that Fulfill the Mission and/or Make Money, Help the Community, and Preserve the Environment
Promoting Support for Local Economies—Preserve Local Businesses and Create Living Wage Jobs in Our Communities
Creating A Contract between Generations—Preserve Nature For Our Grandkids
Keeping Consumption Within Regenerative Capacities Of The Ecosystems
Instituting Taxation Of Energy And Raw Material Consumption
Creating Universal Access to Capital for Local and Regional Development
Reducing Dependency on Petroleum by Promoting:
• Mass Transit
• Carpooling and Carsharing
• Walking and Bicycling
• Non-Polluting Alternative Energy Technologies
• Bio-dynamic and Organic Farming
• Live-Work Housing
• In-Fill Housing Located Near Employment Centers.
Promoting Equitable Land Reform and Distribution
Promoting International and Intercultural Exchanges of People, Technology, And Data
Making Public Education Entrepreneurial and Outcome Based
Promoting Youth Entrepreneurship—Teaching Youth How to Recognize Opportunity, Responsibility, Self-Sufficiency, and Flexibility
Promoting the Arts—Instituting a Love of Nature, Humanity, and Beauty In Our Youth
Promoting Technology as a Force for Social Change Not As An Escape From Reality
Promoting Diversity and Tolerance as A Learning Experience
Creating a new Fusion between Liberal Arts, Technology/Design and Entrepreneurship/Business
Creating Interdisciplinary Learning Communities for College Students who wish to be Community Change Agents